3 Easy Magic Tricks
Turn an ordinary afternoon into a spellbinding show with these clever sleights of hand, conjured up by Ben Nemzer of Monday Night Magic, in New York City, and Frank Thurston of the Magic Castle, in Hollywood.
The Big Reveal
Your child picks a crayon from a box. You guess the color with mind-reading powers!
Trickiness Level: 1 out of 3
Props: A small box of crayons.
1. Stand with your back to your child. Put your hands behind your back and ask her to pick a crayon out of the box and place it into your hands.
2. Once you can feel it in your fingers, turn to face your child with your hands concealed behind you. While you’re talking about the magic, scrape the crayon with your right thumbnail so some wax gets stuck between your finger and the nail.
3. Keeping the crayon behind your back in your left hand, transfer your child’s thoughts to your own with your right hand. Wave your fingers in front of her face, repeating, “I’m reading your thoughts” and “I’m moving them into my mind.”
4. As you’re waving your hand in front of your eyes, sneak a glimpse of the color under your thumbnail.
5. Reveal the answer, adding a few dramatic abracadabras for effect.