New Uses for Old Things
101 New Uses for Everyday Things
10 New Uses for Ziploc BagsIn 1963 a unique bag with a plastic zipper seal was introduced at a packaging trade show. Now, it has become a kitchen staple.
1. Knead dough. Place dough in a Ziploc bag so your fingers don’t get sticky. Or slip your hand into the bag and wear it like a glove.
Use Ziploc Bags to:
2. Store panty hose. Nude, Tan, Nearly Naked―they look the same out of the package. Tear off the corner of the package listing the brand, size, and color, then slip it into a bag. Store each pair in its own bag to keep hose organized and prevent snags.
3. Remove chewing gum or candle wax from a tablecloth, a couch, or carpeting. Gently rub gum or wax with a Ziploc bag filled with ice cubes until the substance hardens. Shatter gum with a blunt object, then vacuum up the chips. Carefully peel off frozen wax with a plastic spatula.
4. Pipe frosting. Snip off a tiny corner to use a Ziploc as a pastry bag.
5. Store homemade soup. Fill up bags, then lay them flat in the freezer. When the bags of soup freeze flat, you’ll be able to pile them up like stacked books for easy, space-saving storage.
6. Protect precious cargo. No bubble wrap? Slip a straw into the top of a nearly closed Ziploc bag and inflate. Remove the straw and seal to make a cushion. (Heirlooms, however, should wait for that bubble wrap.)
7. Break up graham crackers or vanilla wafers to make a piecrust. Fill a bag with the cookies, then roll a rolling pin over it.
8. Prevent a handbag from turning into a snow globe. Store pressed powder and other compacts in Ziploc bags.
9. Gather herbs from the garden. Before winter frost sets in, wash, pat dry, and freeze the herbs in Ziploc bags.
10. Ice an injury. Fill a bag with ice cubes to create a cold compress.
Next: 11 New Uses for Salt
“Ever had nasty words spread about you at work? And were those words published as front-page news in Politico, with your colleagues describing you as “a source of widespread frustration and anxiety,”...”
Our collection of time-tested favorite cookies will satisfy anyone’s sweet tooth.
A-listers were dressed to the nines at the 2014 Emmy Awards last night, but thes...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
Some of the best first-aid tools can be found in your kitchen. While you should...
One Kings Lane takes us on a tour of this designer's fashionable NYC digs! ...
from POPSUGAR Home
PSA: Do NOT throw away those overripe bananas. PSA #2: Maple Bacon Banana Donuts...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post
If you ever get frustrated that your home doesn’t quite look how you’ve alway...