As editors of brands that reach millions of women each month, Real Simple, All You, Health, and Essence asked how our nation could improve to keep our children safe.
Thousands of people submitted ideas, ranging from better mental health care to gun control to reexamined societal values, and beyond. Six women, whose ideas received a ton of community support at 1simplechange.com, were invited to attend an exciting panel discussion on June 13 at the Time-Life Building in New York City. Here is the schedule for that discussion. Follow along at #1simplechange and stay tuned for a recap of the incredible event.
> Welcome from Kristin van Ogtrop, Editor of Real Simple
> Introduction of Winners
> Call to Action from Charles Best, Founder and CEO of DonorsChoose.org
> Panel Discussion
- Melissa Harris-Perry, Host of MSNBC’s Melissa Harris-Perry show
- Colin Goddard, Survivor of the Virginia Tech shooting and Campaign Manager at the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
- Cleopatra Cowley-Pendleton, Mother of Hadiya Pendleton and Cofounder of Hadiya’s Foundation
- Gail Saltz, M.D., Associate Professor of Psychiatry at Weill Cornell Medical College
- Kelly Wallace, CNN Digital Correspondent and Editor-at-Large
- The Honorable Christine Todd Whitman, President of The Whitman Strategy Group and the 50th Governor of New Jersey
> Question-and-Answer Session