Clutter-Busting Secrets of the Pros
Make Organizing a Team EventGail and David Newton, owners of the organizing company Your House in Order, in Greeley, Colorado, suggest finding a friend or two who support your organizational goals and who have decluttering needs of their own, and taking turns organizing each other's homes: Your house this weekend, your friend's the next.
- Make sure everyone is compatible and knows the difference between encouragement and coercion.
- The owner of the item in question should have the final say on whether it gets tossed.
- Have team celebrations when you've reached a certain goal. When the kitchen is done, for example, you all get to go out for
Why It Works
- Your friends don't have the same sentimental attachment to your stuff that you do.
- "Like a barn raising, organizing takes less time with more hands," says David Newton.
- It's fun having someone to listen to the story of why you're so emotionally attached to, say, a chipped Pyrex nesting bowl―before you put it in the to-go pile.
Next: Shop in Your Closet
Most Popular Galleries
“A quick reminder: If you live in an area that observes Daylight Saving time, it begins Sunday, March 9, at 2:00 a.m. Be sure to turn your clock forward one hour—and start enjoying that extra...”
It may still be colder than a winter’s bone outside, but that doesn’t mean we’re...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
Scientists have developed a blood test that they say could lead to an early dia...
Zero in on Nicole Kidman's Grace Kelly ensembles - Fashion Fill up on the f...
from POPSUGAR Home
Ottolenghi is a lucky man. Read more: Tastemakers , Ottolenghi ...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post
Lets face it: Most of us are afraid of using pattern of any kind on large uphol...