Clutter-Busting Secrets of the Pros
Clean Out for a Worthy CauseGetting rid of things will be easier if you can picture someone else benefiting from them (instead of how they just signify wasted money for you). Pick an organization to donate to, and learn as much as you can about it. Read the literature, check out the website, and visit the facility, if possible.
- Don't just leave your stuff outside the charity's storefront or in a donation bin, to be ruined by the elements. Deliver it in person, or find out if the organization will arrange a pickup from your home.
- See if there are specific items the charity needs; this will make those things easier to give up. If it doesn't accept certain items ask if it knows of a group that does.
- If an item is truly worthless or beyond repair, don't make the organization deal with it. Find out the proper way to junk it instead.
- Get your kids involved, too, so they can see what it's like to give.
Why It Works
- Discarded items will most likely be used, worn, or appreciated a lot sooner in someone else's hands than they would in yours.
- You can earn a tax deduction for donated goods. But you are responsible for keeping track of donations, determining their worth, and itemizing them on your tax return.
Next: "Edit" Your Rooms
Most Popular Galleries
“Ever had nasty words spread about you at work? And were those words published as front-page news in Politico, with your colleagues describing you as “a source of widespread frustration and anxiety,”...”
So maybe you can’t change your health overnight. But you can get a head start.
Say what you want about The Bachelorette star Andi Dorfman, but she got what she...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
Over 2.2 million Americans suffer from glaucoma — now a new procedure may...
If sprucing up your neglected bathroom is on your list, we're here to help!...
from POPSUGAR Home
DIY French press, for real. Read more: French Press Coffee Hack ...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post
Our passion for design can lead us to choose the fabulous over the friendly, an...