Clutter-Busting Secrets of the Pros
Seven strategies for getting rid of all the things you don't want, need, or even like.
Act Like You're MovingSay you had to uproot and relocate. What would you take with you? You don't actually have to pack up anything―just set aside the few things that you love and use and see what's left over. "Chances are, you use only 20 percent of your stuff regularly," says Sally Allen, owner of A Place for Everything, an organizing service in Golden, Colorado.
- Envision your home as a prospective buyer might: Uncluttered spaces make the best first impression. They're also a lot easier to keep clean and dust-free.
- Imagine the potential buyer (or, worse, a relative) going through your closets or drawers. What would you not want him or her to see?
- Buy containers and baskets only after you've decided what to keep. This way you'll have a much better sense of the kind of
storage you need.
Why It Works
- You don't have to get rid of things you love or need―you just have to determine what those things are.
- If you've ever packed and paid for a move, the motivation for paring down your possessions will be all too clear.
Next: Assess Your Rooms
Most Popular Galleries
“If you arrange the refrigerator properly, you'll not only be able to find everything, but you're also less likely to waste food....”
I have a major thing for blue mason jars. I use them for everything – drinking g...
from The Nest Blog - Home Décor, Cooking, Money, Health & Sex News & Advice » house & home
Government health officials are investigating several health problems reported ...
Got a girl grad in your life? We know what to get her! Go for something that wil...
from POPSUGAR Home
Ottolenghi is a lucky man. Read more: Tastemakers , Ottolenghi ...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
Check out the pictures of the stunning mansion and you'll agree with us....
from Home on Huffingtonpost
Living rooms get a lot of attention, but a dining room that suits your style an...