New Uses for a Penny, Old CD, and More
Clever ways to repurpose these everyday items.
7 New Uses for a Penny
1. Curtain StraightenerMake an opening in the bottom hem, slide in a penny or two, and sew the hem back up to keep curtains hanging level and stick-straight.
2. Tread CheckerInsert a penny into a groove of a tire with Lincoln’s head pointing into the tire. If the groove covers part of his head, you’re safe to drive; if the head is in full view, it’s time for new wheels. (The distance between the rim of a penny and Lincoln’s head is 1/16 of an inch―the minimum suggested tread depth.)
3. Table AnchorIf you dine out and the table is unsteady, put a coin under the leg to restore balance.
4. Game TokenMisplaced the thimble? No problem. Sub in a cent.
5. Reader Tip: Makeshift ScrewdriverUse a penny to screw open a toy’s battery pack.
Caroline Brant, Collegeville, Pennsylvania
6. Reader Tip: IcebreakerHand out pennies at your next gathering and ask each guest to share a story that happened during the year his or her penny was minted. If the coin predates a friend, let the person improvise.
Rachel Harrison Massa, Stamford, Connecticut
7. Reader Tip: Birdbath CleanerTo ward off algae, toss in a few pre-1982 coins; the high copper content retards growth.
Suzanne Wesley, Terre Haute, Indiana
More Favorite New Uses for Old Things
Most Popular Galleries
“The coffee seems to be dripping in slow motion, the dog's walking around in circles without actually doing his business, the train can't come soon enough, and the elevator is taking forever! If this...”
A thing of beauty should be a joy forever—or at least until five o’clock. Here’s how to stretch the life of your makeup, hair, manicure, perfume—and more.
Kate Middleton‘s immaculate outfits have been the highlight of her New Zea...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
In an attempt to help quell measles outbreaks, researchers have created a...
Relative to some holidays, Easter brunch can be just as stunning when kept simpl...
from POPSUGAR Home
You'll be face palming in no time. Read more: Cut Tomato , ...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post
Interior designer Alice Black enjoyed working on this house so much, she woul...