New Uses for a Penny, Old CD, and More
Clever ways to repurpose these everyday items.
7 New Uses for a Penny
1. Curtain StraightenerMake an opening in the bottom hem, slide in a penny or two, and sew the hem back up to keep curtains hanging level and stick-straight.
2. Tread CheckerInsert a penny into a groove of a tire with Lincoln’s head pointing into the tire. If the groove covers part of his head, you’re safe to drive; if the head is in full view, it’s time for new wheels. (The distance between the rim of a penny and Lincoln’s head is 1/16 of an inch―the minimum suggested tread depth.)
3. Table AnchorIf you dine out and the table is unsteady, put a coin under the leg to restore balance.
4. Game TokenMisplaced the thimble? No problem. Sub in a cent.
5. Reader Tip: Makeshift ScrewdriverUse a penny to screw open a toy’s battery pack.
Caroline Brant, Collegeville, Pennsylvania
6. Reader Tip: IcebreakerHand out pennies at your next gathering and ask each guest to share a story that happened during the year his or her penny was minted. If the coin predates a friend, let the person improvise.
Rachel Harrison Massa, Stamford, Connecticut
7. Reader Tip: Birdbath CleanerTo ward off algae, toss in a few pre-1982 coins; the high copper content retards growth.
Suzanne Wesley, Terre Haute, Indiana
More Favorite New Uses for Old Things
Most Popular Galleries
“Ever had nasty words spread about you at work? And were those words published as front-page news in Politico, with your colleagues describing you as “a source of widespread frustration and anxiety,”...”
Date night can take on lots of forms: extreme, creative, outdoor and offbeatR...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
We hear over and over again that stress is unhealthy. And all that talk makes u...
If you adore the eclectic, vintage-inspired look of the Urban Outfitters apartme...
from POPSUGAR Home
This dessert takes no time at all to prep, but it looks REAL fancy. ...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post
We have a small, narrow entry in our home that seriously lacks storage. So havi...