New Uses for a Penny, Old CD, and More
Clever ways to repurpose these everyday items.
7 New Uses for a Penny
1. Curtain StraightenerMake an opening in the bottom hem, slide in a penny or two, and sew the hem back up to keep curtains hanging level and stick-straight.
2. Tread CheckerInsert a penny into a groove of a tire with Lincoln’s head pointing into the tire. If the groove covers part of his head, you’re safe to drive; if the head is in full view, it’s time for new wheels. (The distance between the rim of a penny and Lincoln’s head is 1/16 of an inch―the minimum suggested tread depth.)
3. Table AnchorIf you dine out and the table is unsteady, put a coin under the leg to restore balance.
4. Game TokenMisplaced the thimble? No problem. Sub in a cent.
5. Reader Tip: Makeshift ScrewdriverUse a penny to screw open a toy’s battery pack.
Caroline Brant, Collegeville, Pennsylvania
6. Reader Tip: IcebreakerHand out pennies at your next gathering and ask each guest to share a story that happened during the year his or her penny was minted. If the coin predates a friend, let the person improvise.
Rachel Harrison Massa, Stamford, Connecticut
7. Reader Tip: Birdbath CleanerTo ward off algae, toss in a few pre-1982 coins; the high copper content retards growth.
Suzanne Wesley, Terre Haute, Indiana
More Favorite New Uses for Old Things
“These days, plenty of engaged couples already have bedding, kitchen appliances, and other items you'd need to furnish a home and begin a life together. So, what's an engaged couple to do if they'd...”
A thing of beauty should be a joy forever—or at least until five o’clock. Here’s how to stretch the life of your makeup, hair, manicure, perfume—and more.
If you want your obsession for ombre manicures, mustache mugs and chevron pillow...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
They grunt, claw, and feel their body is covered with hair and their nails are e...
When you think of what you know about celebrities - their style, their personali...
from POPSUGAR Home
This week's worst-dressed list was filled with moments we'd like to fo...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post
The countdown is on to Easter, and its time to lay down a strategy for the annu...