How to Set a Pretty Table
For an Informal Lunch
- A casual afternoon meal offers a chance to relax and have a little fun, so all you’ll need is the basics. Take the opportunity to show a bit of personality by mixing and matching textures, patterns, and colors. This table features a patterned salad plate on top of a contrasting dinner plate. A charger isn’t required for such a casual setting.
- The flatware aligns more or less with the bottom of the dinner plate.
- No matter the occasion, make sure the knife’s blade points toward the plate. “It’s impolite to allow blades to face other diners,” says Anna Post, great-great-granddaughter of etiquette expert Emily Post and the author of Emily Post’s Wedding Parties (Collins, $23, amazon.com).
- Feel free to use tumblers in place of wineglasses. It’s OK for stemmed and stemless glasses to coexist.
- Place salt-and-pepper shakers near the center of the table. If someone asks you to pass the salt, hand her the pepper, too. The pair should always travel together.
Most Popular Galleries
“Who cares if it’s still only spring? We’re already thinking about our first summer swim—and we want our readers to be prepared. So when you’re in and out of the pool, use these surprising tips from...”
For years and years my husband and I lived in an apartment that was fairly avera...
from The Nest Blog - Home Décor, Cooking, Money, Health & Sex News & Advice » house & home
Marine Corps officials have repeatedly said that federal environmental regulati...
Wedding season is in full swing here at POPSUGAR, and we have everything you nee...
from POPSUGAR Home
Ottolenghi is a lucky man. Read more: Tastemakers , Ottolenghi ...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
Driveways are often the most overlooked part of garden design, considered more u...
from Home on Huffingtonpost
This homeowner called interior designer Lisa Konjicek-Segundo of Olive Juice D...