How to Buy Major Appliances
Countertop versions ($30 to $250) can be placed anywhere; over-the-range models ($100 to $700) save space and often have lights and exhaust fans on the bottom, so they double as vent hoods.
- Power. A microwave’s power is measured by its wattage; the higher the wattage, the quicker food will cook. If you use your microwave mostly for reheating, a 600-watt unit should do the trick. But if you use it to prepare full meals, especially for a large family, opt for 900 to 1,300 watts.
- A convection mode. If you entertain a lot and would benefit from a second oven, or if you want superfast cooking results, consider machines with convection technology, which uses a heating element and a fan to circulate air for roasting, baking, browning, and grilling in half the time of a regular oven.
- Turntable size and function. Microwaves with 16-inch-diameter turntables are large enough for most cooks. Look for turntables that rotate automatically for even cooking results and that can be removed for easy cleaning.
- Sensors. These shut off the microwave when food is done by calculating how much steam is being emitted from the food―no more overcooking or undercooking.
- Childproof doors. Some microwaves have door locks (which can be activated and deactivated via the keypad) so curious hands don't get burned on hot dishes.
Next: You Might Also Like...
Most Popular Galleries
“You've made your list and checked it twice, now you need to find a place to hide the presents! According to The National Retail Foundation, shoppers started buying gifts earlier than ever this year....”
PANTONE 18-3224 Radiant Orchid! Pantone revealed their 2014 color of the year ye...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
A new study published in the journal Science has revealed that brain cancer c...
Although 2013 had a lot of design highlights, it's time to play favorites. ...
from POPSUGAR Home
Ottolenghi is a lucky man. Read more: Tastemakers , Ottolenghi ...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post
Decorating the Christmas tree has always been one of the great joys of the holi...