Get the Most Out of Spring Flowers
Long-Stemmed FlowersTulips and daffodils come in dozens of varieties; ranunculus (shown, second from left) and poppies (shown, bottom) run the rainbow gamut. Also look for anemones (shown, top red flower), irises, and amaryllis. All bloom sometime between March and July.
- Cut stems at an angle with sharp flower clippers or a knife. For poppies, use a lighter or a match (Perez uses a flat iron) to gently singe the cut ends. This keeps sap inside but allows for water absorption.
- Some of these flowers emit a sappy substance (in poppies, it is toxic and can kill other flowers). Let the sap drain by putting flowers in water separately overnight before arranging.
- For a dense, upright arrangement, cut stems so the blossoms are about three inches from the top of the vase. Or fasten flowers loosely with a ribbon or a twist tie and lean them to one side in an extra-wide-mouthed vase.
- Poppies’ curling stems rule out structured arrangements. Put a bunch in a tall vase for a loose, extravagant look, or place
two or three stems in a bottle or a decanter.
- Tulips can grow after they’re cut, changing shape; trim them vigilantly.
- Tall stems have more leaves, which decompose and pollute the water; change it at least every three days. Alejandro Saralegui, a landscape designer in Wainscott, New York, uses Floralife Crystal Clear, a citric acid formula, to extend the life of blooms.
Next: Tree and Shrub Blossoms
Most Popular Galleries
“It’s possible that espadrilles are the ultimate spring shoe. They unmistakably welcome warmer weather, but they provide enough protection (and warmth) for those days that just didn’t quite get the...”
A thing of beauty should be a joy forever—or at least until five o’clock. Here’s how to stretch the life of your makeup, hair, manicure, perfume—and more.
If you want your obsession for ombre manicures, mustache mugs and chevron pillow...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
While any coffee will provide some healthy payoffs, you need to pick the right ...
It happens with our fashion sense, our cooking skills, our finances - you name i...
from POPSUGAR Home
SANTA PAULA, Calif. (AP) — What was supposed to be a cheap bite at Del Taco turn...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post
On Easter Sunday candy-colored baskets will be out in full force. But as anyone...