Get the Most Out of Spring Flowers
How to trim, arrange, display, and extend the life of your blooms.
The most popular small blooms include lily of the valley (shown), snowdrop, grape hyacinth, scilla, crocus, and some varieties of narcissus. Snowdrops begin pushing up as early as February (hence their name), as do crocuses; the rest typically bloom between March and May.
- Cutting prematurely may result in a bud that never opens, says Meredith Waga Perez, owner of Belle Fleur, a floral-design shop in New York City. Wait until buds are in partial or almost full bloom.
- Cut stems in bunches and at an angle so there’s lots of surface area for absorbing water. Use a very sharp paring knife or scissors. Dull blades will crush the delicate stem fibers, making it hard for the flowers to take in water.
- Sure, bud vases work, but enlist unexpected containers: cordial glasses, tall espresso or silver mint-julep cups, or creamers. For wide, sturdy blossoms with thicker stems, like grape hyacinths, consider a ramekin or a sugar dish.
- For a quiet, sweet statement, try a single arrangement of three or four stems. For a bigger one, put thick clusters of a single
bloom (such as lily of the valley) in mismatched containers and group them on a mantel or a side table.
- Keep flowers out of the sun and away from heat sources.
- Refill the vase with fresh water every two to three days, washing it thoroughly each time. Trim stems at least once.
Next: Long-Stemmed Flowers
“Ever had nasty words spread about you at work? And were those words published as front-page news in Politico, with your colleagues describing you as “a source of widespread frustration and anxiety,”...”
So maybe you can’t change your health overnight. But you can get a head start.
If Robin Thicke and Paula Patton were decor elements, you’d think they wou...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
A virus that lives in the human gut has just been discovered, and to the surpris...
Calling all flea market junkies - this post is for you! If you're in need o...
from Home sweet home. | POPSUGAR Home
We've seen the future of grilled cheese and it looks DELICIOUS. ...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post
Planning a small bedroom can be fun (honestly). With the right design tips and ...