Decorating With Throw Pillows
Decorator Tips on Picking the Right Throw Pillows for Your Room
- Consider size. Standard squares (about 18 inches) nest neatly on sofas with typical dimensions. Oversize pillows (24 inches) create a more casual, loungey feel. If you have a modern sofa with a very low back, consider 16 inches.
- Know about fill. A feather-and-down fill has more squish, and it’s also the priciest. Foam and other synthetic fills are stiffer. They hold their shape but look less lush.
- Use an odd number of pillows. In design, odd numbers tend to be more artful. Try one, three, or five, depending on the size of your furniture and the look you want (one for a chair, three or five for a standard 88-inch sofa).
- Create a mixed “pillowscape.” An easy combo: a matched pair of square solids that contrast with the color of your sofa, one oblong pillow for the center of the couch, and two interesting outliers—patterned, embellished, or oddly shaped—that reference either the color of your upholstery or the color of your solid pillows.
- Don’t forget about texture. Tactile contrast—nubby linen against smooth leather or silk upholstery, or shiny pillows on a fuzzy couch—add warmth and offer traction, so pillows don’t slide off seats.
- Address the whole room. Think of a living room’s pillows as a family. The pillow on a chair doesn’t have to match the group on the sofa, but if it relates in some way—palette, style—the space feels unified and polished.
Next: You Might Also Like...
Most Popular Galleries
“Ever had nasty words spread about you at work? And were those words published as front-page news in Politico, with your colleagues describing you as “a source of widespread frustration and anxiety,”...”
If you were just thinking about how you’d like more artisanal home goods a...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
An anti-cancer drug made by the U.S. biotech firm Celgene can re-activate hidde...
You may be strapped for cash, but that doesn't mean your home has to be str...
from POPSUGAR Home
So. Much. Cheese. Read more: How the French Eat , French Life ,...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post
Creative families need creative spaces. For Autumn Sproles; her husband, Chri...