Instant Upgrade: Bookcase
- Remove the shelves and apply latex wood primer to the exterior and the interior.
- Paint the inside the same color as the walls. Paint the outside white.
- Cut fabric (here, linen) large enough to wrap each shelf, securing it in the back with a staple gun.
- Apply a second coat of paint.
- Measure the front of the case. Cut three fabric panels (here, Ikea's Anno Inez curtain panels) so they overlap and cover the unit.
- Install Ikea's Kvadrant triple-track rail kit ($17, instructions included) to the case's top and the top of the fabric panels.
- Attach Ikea's Kvadrant bottom-rail kit ($6) to the bottom of each panel. Then hang the fabric panels by sliding them into the top of the track.