The 13 Best Bed-in-a-Box Mattresses, According to Editors and Shoppers
The modern mattress is a “bed-in-a-box,” and tons of companies are now offering a wide range of options—all with compact packaging, direct delivery, and quality construction at a reasonable price. Buying a new mattress is a significant purchase, and for many, these in-a-box choices are new territory. With so many options available, it can feel overwhelming to sort through them all.
So to help you find the best mattress in a box for your needs, we turned to real reviews from shoppers and editors alike to find out which will give you the best sleep of your life. While there are differences between each company’s offerings, there are a few overarching characteristics between brands. For starters, they’re overwhelmingly made out of foam (which is how they can easily fit into a box).
Because most of us are used to the feel of a traditional innerspring bed, the adjustment period when switching from coil to foam can take some time. That’s why many brands require a 30-day minimum trial before accepting returns—so if you’re not immediately sold, give yourself some time to break it in.
And if you’re particularly sensitive to smells, be aware that there may be an initial odor upon opening the vacuum-packed mattress. Let it air out and it should dissipate within two days. Lastly, mattresses are heavy. Recruit a friend or family member to lift the box into the room and set it in place.
Whether you’re looking for a firm mattress or a comfortable plush option, you’re sure to find something on this list that will meet your needs. Scroll down to see which bed-in-a-box mattresses are loved by both editors and shoppers alike.
These are the best mattresses in a box:
- Best Eco-Friendly Option: The Brentwood Home Cyprus Bamboo Gel Memory Foam Mattress
- Best Supportive Option: The Casper Wave Mattress
- Best Cooling Option: The Ghostbed Mattress
- Best Pillowtop Option: The Keetsa Pillow Plus
- Best Socially-Conscious Option: The Leesa Mattress
- Best Motion-Absorbing Option: The Lull Mattress
- Best Flippable Option: FLIP by Nest Bedding
- Best Option for Pressure Relief: The T&N Mattress by Tuft & Needle
- Best Option with Removable Cover: The Yogabed Mattress
- Best for Side Sleepers: The Real Sleep Mattress by Real Simple
- Best for Stomach Sleepers: The Tulo Mattress
- Best Hybrid Option: The Linenspa Hybrid Mattress
- Best Affordable Option: The Lucid Gel Memory Foam Mattress