Carpet Stain Solutions
No matter the kind of spill or carpet, these treatments will lift up whatever's underfoot.
Food and DrinkSee Homemade Carpet-Cleaning Solutions for recipes for all solutions below.
Synthetic-Fiber RugsWine, ketchup, chocolate, coffee, tea, beer, milk, tomato sauce, berries, hard candy, juice, soda, Gatorade, Kool-Aid
1. Dip a white cloth (or a white paper towel with no printing) into the detergent solution and dab repeatedly, then press the cloth on the spot for a few seconds. Wait 15 minutes (it takes time to break down the stain), then soak up the excess liquid with a dry white cloth.
2. Dip a cloth into the vinegar solution and dab repeatedly, then press the cloth on the spot for a few seconds. Wait another 15 minutes. (This is an important step, because white vinegar removes residual detergent, which will attract dirt if left in the carpet.)
3. Rinse by blotting with a cloth soaked in lukewarm water. Wait one hour or until the carpet dries completely. For bad spills, place a 1/2-inch-thick stack of white paper towels over the stain after step 2, then lay a glass baking dish on top for 15 minutes.
4. As long as you see the stain lightening, repeat these steps until it is gone.
Natural-Fiber RugsBeer, coffee, tea
1. Spray the stain with detergent solution, then blot with a dry white cloth.
2. Spray the stain with vinegar solution, then blot with a dry white cloth.
3. Spray the stain with detergent solution, then blot with a dry white cloth.
4. Spray the stain with lukewarm water, then blot with a dry white cloth.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 until the stain is removed.
Hard candy, chocolate, berries, juice, wine, soda, milk
Follow steps 1 to 5 (above), with one addition: Before applying the vinegar solution in step 2, spray the stain with ammonia solution, then blot with a dry white cloth.
Ketchup, Gatorade, Kool-Aid, tomato sauce
Follow steps 1 to 5 (above), but substitute ammonia solution for the vinegar one in step 2.
Next: Oil and Grease
Most Popular Galleries
“You've made your list and checked it twice, now you need to find a place to hide the presents! According to The National Retail Foundation, shoppers started buying gifts earlier than ever this year....”
PANTONE 18-3224 Radiant Orchid! Pantone revealed their 2014 color of the year ye...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
A long-awaited study by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention sho...
We know, we know... the novelty of chalkboard paint as a cool DIY material is pr...
from POPSUGAR Home
Ottolenghi is a lucky man. Read more: Tastemakers , Ottolenghi ...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post
Gina OHara had a hard time describing her dream home to her builder. Shed been ...