Carpet Stain Solutions
No matter the kind of spill or carpet, these treatments will lift up whatever's underfoot.
Food and DrinkSee Homemade Carpet-Cleaning Solutions for recipes for all solutions below.
Synthetic-Fiber RugsWine, ketchup, chocolate, coffee, tea, beer, milk, tomato sauce, berries, hard candy, juice, soda, Gatorade, Kool-Aid
1. Dip a white cloth (or a white paper towel with no printing) into the detergent solution and dab repeatedly, then press the cloth on the spot for a few seconds. Wait 15 minutes (it takes time to break down the stain), then soak up the excess liquid with a dry white cloth.
2. Dip a cloth into the vinegar solution and dab repeatedly, then press the cloth on the spot for a few seconds. Wait another 15 minutes. (This is an important step, because white vinegar removes residual detergent, which will attract dirt if left in the carpet.)
3. Rinse by blotting with a cloth soaked in lukewarm water. Wait one hour or until the carpet dries completely. For bad spills, place a 1/2-inch-thick stack of white paper towels over the stain after step 2, then lay a glass baking dish on top for 15 minutes.
4. As long as you see the stain lightening, repeat these steps until it is gone.
Natural-Fiber RugsBeer, coffee, tea
1. Spray the stain with detergent solution, then blot with a dry white cloth.
2. Spray the stain with vinegar solution, then blot with a dry white cloth.
3. Spray the stain with detergent solution, then blot with a dry white cloth.
4. Spray the stain with lukewarm water, then blot with a dry white cloth.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 until the stain is removed.
Hard candy, chocolate, berries, juice, wine, soda, milk
Follow steps 1 to 5 (above), with one addition: Before applying the vinegar solution in step 2, spray the stain with ammonia solution, then blot with a dry white cloth.
Ketchup, Gatorade, Kool-Aid, tomato sauce
Follow steps 1 to 5 (above), but substitute ammonia solution for the vinegar one in step 2.
Next: Oil and Grease
Most Popular Galleries
“Whether your smartphone took an accidental dip in the pool or got stolen while you were strolling the boardwalk, saying goodbye to your phone is never easy. Perhaps the worst part of the whole...”
I have a major thing for blue mason jars. I use them for everything – drinking g...
from The Nest Blog - Home Décor, Cooking, Money, Health & Sex News & Advice » house & home
Money can buy happiness—if you spend wisely. We asked experts to explain ...
Wedding season is in full swing here at POPSUGAR, and we have everything you nee...
from POPSUGAR Home
Ottolenghi is a lucky man. Read more: Tastemakers , Ottolenghi ...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
Check out the pictures of the stunning mansion and you'll agree with us....
from Home on Huffingtonpost
Living rooms get a lot of attention, but a dining room that suits your style an...