Carpet Stain Solutions
No matter the kind of spill or carpet, these treatments will lift up whatever's underfoot.
Food and DrinkSee Homemade Carpet-Cleaning Solutions for recipes for all solutions below.
Synthetic-Fiber RugsWine, ketchup, chocolate, coffee, tea, beer, milk, tomato sauce, berries, hard candy, juice, soda, Gatorade, Kool-Aid
1. Dip a white cloth (or a white paper towel with no printing) into the detergent solution and dab repeatedly, then press the cloth on the spot for a few seconds. Wait 15 minutes (it takes time to break down the stain), then soak up the excess liquid with a dry white cloth.
2. Dip a cloth into the vinegar solution and dab repeatedly, then press the cloth on the spot for a few seconds. Wait another 15 minutes. (This is an important step, because white vinegar removes residual detergent, which will attract dirt if left in the carpet.)
3. Rinse by blotting with a cloth soaked in lukewarm water. Wait one hour or until the carpet dries completely. For bad spills, place a 1/2-inch-thick stack of white paper towels over the stain after step 2, then lay a glass baking dish on top for 15 minutes.
4. As long as you see the stain lightening, repeat these steps until it is gone.
Natural-Fiber RugsBeer, coffee, tea
1. Spray the stain with detergent solution, then blot with a dry white cloth.
2. Spray the stain with vinegar solution, then blot with a dry white cloth.
3. Spray the stain with detergent solution, then blot with a dry white cloth.
4. Spray the stain with lukewarm water, then blot with a dry white cloth.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 until the stain is removed.
Hard candy, chocolate, berries, juice, wine, soda, milk
Follow steps 1 to 5 (above), with one addition: Before applying the vinegar solution in step 2, spray the stain with ammonia solution, then blot with a dry white cloth.
Ketchup, Gatorade, Kool-Aid, tomato sauce
Follow steps 1 to 5 (above), but substitute ammonia solution for the vinegar one in step 2.
Next: Oil and Grease
Most Popular Galleries
“Despite definitely knowing better, you popped a pimple and it erupted. Rather than lecturing you on how bad it is to pick at your skin—because it is a bad idea—here’s how to cover it up: A...”
All Ellen DeGeneres fans (so that’s everyone, right?) need to get excited,...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
An international team of scientists has deciphered the genetic code of the tset...
Saturday Night Live's Cecily Strong is all fun and games, but her NYC apart...
from POPSUGAR Home
Beginning this week, you'll see three new flavors of Doritos on store shelv...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post
Back in the 1930s, this lakeside community in the Santa Monica Mountains of Cal...