Spring Cleaning Shortcuts
Carpeting and Rugs: Long Version (continued)
Wool and Silk
These rugs prefer a vinegar solution to a standard shampooing. Vinegar preserves carpet dyes in these materials rather than
stripping them away. Test first in an inconspicuous spot.
- Spray bottle filled with 1 part white vinegar to 4 parts water
- An old towel (washed a lot, so fibers won’t shed)
- Broom or baseball bat
- A helper
Steps for Wall-to-Wall
1. Vacuum thoroughly.
2. Spray the vinegar solution on a two-foot area. Blot with a towel, applying pressure with both feet. Move to another area, repeating until you have covered the entire rug. Open the windows.
Steps for Area Rugs
1. Follow step 1 of cotton and synthetic area rugs.
2. Bring rugs inside; vacuum both sides.
3. Follow step 4 of cotton and synthetic area rugs.
4. Follow step 2 of wall-to-wall.
Time investment: For a 15-by-15-foot carpeted room, a morning, plus drying time. For area rugs, about an hour per rug, plus drying time.
Rather hire a pro? Some charge by the square foot; others, by the room. Expect to pay about 30 cents per square foot of rug.
Most Popular Galleries
Our collection of time-tested favorite cookies will satisfy anyone’s sweet tooth.