Spring Cleaning Shortcuts
Hit every inch of the frame and the cushions with a hand vac. Swipe clean to finish.
- Old sheet
- Hydro dry-cleaning sponge ($6, amazon.com)
- Lint roller
- Hand vac
1. Lay down the sheet. Remove all the cushions and toss them onto the sheet.
2. Rub fabric upholstery with the dry-cleaning sponge, which picks up dirt, dead skin cells, and oils that can discolor and age the fabric. For stains on leather, use a water-based cream and cleaner, such as Leather Master Maxi ($30, leatherworldtech.com).
3. Run the lint roller over the front, back, and sides of cushions, in overlapping rows, peeling away to a new sticky layer as needed.
4. Grab any spare change (score!) and detritus from the bare frame.
5. Vacuum up crumbs and dust from the base of the sofa or chair.
6. Replace the cushions.
7. Run the lint roller over the parts of the sofa or chair that haven’t already been rolled (don’t forget the back). Fluff.
Time investment: 5 to 10 minutes for each piece of furniture.
Most Popular Galleries
Far from boring, this go-to neutral can take any room to new stylish heights.