Arrange Your Kitchen by Activity
Create an efficient workspace with these strategies and tips.
Store SmartlyWhen you have egg whites forming stiff peaks, an oven at 400 degrees, and butter melting on the stove, a hunt for kitchen supplies can have catastrophic consequences. The most efficient organizing principle is to group things by activity and keep them stationed around the starring appliance.
- Anything that doesn't fall under the main kitchen-activity categories―baking, cooking, serving, and storing―doesn't need to be taking up valuable space. Larger serving dishes and roasting pans should go on low or high shelves in the kitchen or pantry.
- If you're really strapped for space, store seldom-used and seasonal items, such as birthday-cake molds and cookie cutters, away from the kitchen entirely. Be sure to label the boxes or storage containers so you know what's stored where.
- As for never-used fondue sets, chafing dishes, bread and ice-cream makers, snow-cone machines, and creme brulee torches, share the wealth at your next tag sale.
Activity: BakingArea: Near the mixer
- Mixing bowls
- Baking sheets, cake pans, pie plates
- Measuring spoons and cups, spatula
- Flours, sugars, baking soda, baking powder, shortening, cocoa, extracts, food coloring
- Chocolate chips, sprinkles
Next: Activity: Cooking
Most Popular Galleries
“Want to ace your next big meeting or job interview? Try this two-minute life hack, brought to you by Amy Cuddy, a social psychologist and professor and researcher at Harvard Business School, in a TED...”
It may still be colder than a winter’s bone outside, but that doesn’t mean we’re...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
Is Greek yogurt really healthier than regular yogurt? ...
Prince William and Kate Middleton don't always vacation alone together, but...
from POPSUGAR Home
Ottolenghi is a lucky man. Read more: Tastemakers , Ottolenghi ...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post
We gardeners are a diverse, passion-driven crowd. There is no one size fits all...