Arrange Your Kitchen by Activity
Create an efficient workspace with these strategies and tips.
Store SmartlyWhen you have egg whites forming stiff peaks, an oven at 400 degrees, and butter melting on the stove, a hunt for kitchen supplies can have catastrophic consequences. The most efficient organizing principle is to group things by activity and keep them stationed around the starring appliance.
- Anything that doesn't fall under the main kitchen-activity categories―baking, cooking, serving, and storing―doesn't need to be taking up valuable space. Larger serving dishes and roasting pans should go on low or high shelves in the kitchen or pantry.
- If you're really strapped for space, store seldom-used and seasonal items, such as birthday-cake molds and cookie cutters, away from the kitchen entirely. Be sure to label the boxes or storage containers so you know what's stored where.
- As for never-used fondue sets, chafing dishes, bread and ice-cream makers, snow-cone machines, and creme brulee torches, share the wealth at your next tag sale.
Activity: BakingArea: Near the mixer
- Mixing bowls
- Baking sheets, cake pans, pie plates
- Measuring spoons and cups, spatula
- Flours, sugars, baking soda, baking powder, shortening, cocoa, extracts, food coloring
- Chocolate chips, sprinkles
Next: Activity: Cooking
Most Popular Galleries
“Despite definitely knowing better, you popped a pimple and it erupted. Rather than lecturing you on how bad it is to pick at your skin—because it is a bad idea—here’s how to cover it up: A...”
All Ellen DeGeneres fans (so that’s everyone, right?) need to get excited,...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
An international team of scientists has deciphered the genetic code of the tset...
Find out which Orange Is the New Black character you're most like - Entert...
from POPSUGAR Home
Beginning this week, you'll see three new flavors of Doritos on store shelv...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post
Back in the 1930s, this lakeside community in the Santa Monica Mountains of Cal...