Arrange Your Kitchen by Activity
Create an efficient workspace with these strategies and tips.
Store SmartlyWhen you have egg whites forming stiff peaks, an oven at 400 degrees, and butter melting on the stove, a hunt for kitchen supplies can have catastrophic consequences. The most efficient organizing principle is to group things by activity and keep them stationed around the starring appliance.
- Anything that doesn't fall under the main kitchen-activity categories―baking, cooking, serving, and storing―doesn't need to be taking up valuable space. Larger serving dishes and roasting pans should go on low or high shelves in the kitchen or pantry.
- If you're really strapped for space, store seldom-used and seasonal items, such as birthday-cake molds and cookie cutters, away from the kitchen entirely. Be sure to label the boxes or storage containers so you know what's stored where.
- As for never-used fondue sets, chafing dishes, bread and ice-cream makers, snow-cone machines, and creme brulee torches, share the wealth at your next tag sale.
Activity: BakingArea: Near the mixer
- Mixing bowls
- Baking sheets, cake pans, pie plates
- Measuring spoons and cups, spatula
- Flours, sugars, baking soda, baking powder, shortening, cocoa, extracts, food coloring
- Chocolate chips, sprinkles
Next: Activity: Cooking
Most Popular Galleries
“Who cares if it’s still only spring? We’re already thinking about our first summer swim—and we want our readers to be prepared. So when you’re in and out of the pool, use these surprising tips from...”
For years and years my husband and I lived in an apartment that was fairly avera...
from The Nest Blog - Home Décor, Cooking, Money, Health & Sex News & Advice » house & home
There are many things you can do to combat stress before you run out to get a p...
Touring the International Contemporary Furniture Fair: Magnetic Wall Coverings, Lighting Galore, and More
We're back at the International Contemporary Furniture Fair in New York to ...
from POPSUGAR Home
Ottolenghi is a lucky man. Read more: Tastemakers , Ottolenghi ...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
New to the Chicagoland real estate market is an opulent Colonial rivaling that o...
from Home on Huffingtonpost
Mirror was used everywhere in the house in the 1980s. Today it's making a stron...