24 Homemade Halloween Costumes for Kids
Trick household items into turning into this year’s most clever disguises. By Krissy Tiglias
Horrified at the idea of throwing a Halloween bash? Don’t be afraid—we’ve made a list of everything you’ll need for a frightfully fabulous event.
How To: Make Ice Cream Sundae
What You Need
Pink tank top
Fishnet fabric (available at fabric stores)
Brown ribbon (about a yard)
Pipe cleaners (various colors)
Styrofoam ball (medium sized)
1. Add velcro to the ends of the capelet for a closure. Cut 1" pieces of pipe cleaner in alternating colors and glue them to the capelet with fabric glue.
2. Create a sauce-like dripping by cutting the bottom of a pink tank top.
3. For the marshmallow sauce, glue 1" lengths of cut pipe cleaner to the brown tutu with fabric glue
4. For the cone bottom, cut a piece of elastic fishnet that hang from child’s waist to the ankle. Glue the fishnet to the leggings waistband to secure.
How To: Make Headpiece
1. Cut a piece of brown felt into a 5" circle and make the edges wavy like sauce. Add a piece of brown pleated trim around the edge, securing with fabric glue.
2. For the whipped cream, glue a small mound of quilt batting to the center and cover with 3/4" lengths of pipe cleaner in varying colors, securing with fabric glue.
3. Cover the styrofoam ball with glitter and stick a red pipe cleaner in the top for the stem. Glue the cherry to the center of the "whipped cream" with hot glue. Glue the entire thing (along the base of the brown felt) to the headband.