14 Simple, Beautiful Homemade Holiday Gifts
Makes: 2 gifts
Total time: 25 minutes
What You Need
- 2 flea-market sugar bowls
- 1 1-pound bag of soy wax
- microwave-safe container with pouring spout
- candle-fragrance oil
- wick tabs
- wood skewers or chopsticks
What to Do
- Follow the instructions on the soy-wax package for heating the wax and adding dye and fragrance.
- Cut the wicking so that it’s about three inches taller than the bowl.
- Thread the wicking through a wick tab and knot it at one end. Slide the wick tab down to the knot. Dip the wick tab into the melted wax to coat, then press down firmly in the center of the bowl to make it adhere.
- Tie the loose end of the wicking to a skewer (so that it won’t get caught in the wax), then rest the skewer across the lip of the bowl. Repeat the wick-tab process for the second bowl.
- Slowly pour the wax into the bowls and allow it to harden.
- Cut the wicks right below the skewers; they should stick up about a quarter inch from the wax.