14 Simple, Beautiful Homemade Holiday Gifts
Makes: 2 gifts (6 sachets in all)
Total time: 10 minutes
What You Need
- 12 cinnamon sticks
- 6 pieces star anise
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice berries
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 6 bouquet garni bags ($8 for 12 bags, surlatable.com)
What to Do
Divide the cinnamon, star anise, allspice, and cloves among the bags. Keep at room temperature for up to 6 months.
How to Package Your Gift
- Divide the sachets between 2 small boxes lined with decorative foil or paper. Try the Bamboo Stackable Drawer Organizers available at containerstore.com (3 by 6 by 2 inches, $4 each).
- Handwrite or download the following instructions on a gift tag or label to include with your gift: “Simmer 1 sachet in 2 quarts apple cider for 15 minutes. Serves 8.”
- Tuck gift tags with instructions into the boxes; wrap with decorative wrapping paper or fabric that is cut to the width of each box, leaving the ends open. Secure each with a ribbon and finish by tying on a cinnamon stick and a star anise piece.
For a printable PDF with the instructions, suitable for including with your gift, go to Homemade How-tos (scroll to the second page).
Most Popular Galleries
If your dark circles aren’t quite this adorable, you don’t have to grin and bear it. Try these (en)lightening strategies to minimize them.