14 Simple, Beautiful Homemade Holiday Gifts
Mini Succulent Garden
Makes: 1 gift
Total time: 15 minutes
What You Need
- Ceramic bowl (at least 3 inches deep and 5 inches wide)
- small pebbles
- dishwashing gloves (to keep fingers nimble and offer some protection)
- soup spoon
- cactus potting soil
- 5 or 7 small cactus and succulent plants of different heights and shapes (an odd number will look better; the festive plant with the red top, shown here, is a ruby ball cactus). All supplies are available at your local garden center or Home Depot
What to Do
- Cover the bottom of the bowl with a 1-inch layer of pebbles.
- Add a thin layer of soil over the pebbles.
- Wearing gloves, gently remove each little cactus from its pot. Group the tallest plants together and fill the remaining space with the others, allowing a half inch between each. Use the spoon to surround each plant with soil; the root ball should be completely covered.
- Level the top of the potting soil at the base of each plant. Cover the surface with pebbles. To water, start with a half cup and continue to add until the topsoil is damp.
- When gifting, tell the recipient to let the soil dry out between waterings.
Next: Manchego Twists
Most Popular Galleries
“If these three cookbooks don’t fit anyone on your list, try these new options for holiday gift-giving: For the Baker Payard Desserts, Francois Payard with Tish Boyle World-famous pastry chef Francois...”
PANTONE 18-3224 Radiant Orchid! Pantone revealed their 2014 color of the year ye...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
If someone you love is trying to lose weight, you want to support his or her ef...
Chronic tailgaters and party throwers will attest to the convenience of a good f...
from POPSUGAR Home
Ottolenghi is a lucky man. Read more: Tastemakers , Ottolenghi ...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post
Rebekah and Timothy Cichero are inspired by objects with character and a story ...