14 Simple, Beautiful Homemade Holiday Gifts
Mini Succulent Garden
Makes: 1 gift
Total time: 15 minutes
What You Need
- Ceramic bowl (at least 3 inches deep and 5 inches wide)
- small pebbles
- dishwashing gloves (to keep fingers nimble and offer some protection)
- soup spoon
- cactus potting soil
- 5 or 7 small cactus and succulent plants of different heights and shapes (an odd number will look better; the festive plant with the red top, shown here, is a ruby ball cactus). All supplies are available at your local garden center or Home Depot
What to Do
- Cover the bottom of the bowl with a 1-inch layer of pebbles.
- Add a thin layer of soil over the pebbles.
- Wearing gloves, gently remove each little cactus from its pot. Group the tallest plants together and fill the remaining space with the others, allowing a half inch between each. Use the spoon to surround each plant with soil; the root ball should be completely covered.
- Level the top of the potting soil at the base of each plant. Cover the surface with pebbles. To water, start with a half cup and continue to add until the topsoil is damp.
- When gifting, tell the recipient to let the soil dry out between waterings.
Next: Manchego Twists
Most Popular Galleries
“In our house, the cocktail is king. Like many, we started stocking our bar when the cocktail revolution hit a decade ago. Couple that with watching Don Draper and Peggy Olsen imbibe on Mad Men for...”
Excel spreadsheets are usually used to track the most banal of things: budgets t...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
A woman who underwent two back surgeries at Pacific Hospital of Long Beach in C...
When POPSUGAR editor Lauren Turner found her dream dresser, the price turned out...
from POPSUGAR Home
Fruit vs. vegetable is just the beginning. Read more: Food Facts...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post
Jordan Menzel went out for a bike ride around downtown Salt Lake City, Utah, on...