14 Simple, Beautiful Homemade Holiday Gifts
Mini Succulent Garden
Makes: 1 gift
Total time: 15 minutes
What You Need
- Ceramic bowl (at least 3 inches deep and 5 inches wide)
- small pebbles
- dishwashing gloves (to keep fingers nimble and offer some protection)
- soup spoon
- cactus potting soil
- 5 or 7 small cactus and succulent plants of different heights and shapes (an odd number will look better; the festive plant with the red top, shown here, is a ruby ball cactus). All supplies are available at your local garden center or Home Depot
What to Do
- Cover the bottom of the bowl with a 1-inch layer of pebbles.
- Add a thin layer of soil over the pebbles.
- Wearing gloves, gently remove each little cactus from its pot. Group the tallest plants together and fill the remaining space with the others, allowing a half inch between each. Use the spoon to surround each plant with soil; the root ball should be completely covered.
- Level the top of the potting soil at the base of each plant. Cover the surface with pebbles. To water, start with a half cup and continue to add until the topsoil is damp.
- When gifting, tell the recipient to let the soil dry out between waterings.
Next: Manchego Twists
“Before you get busy packing the basket, take a second to find out if you’re smarter than the average bear. (Answers below the photo!) 1. If you’ve been stung by a bee, what can you use to remove the...”
Why book a flight to a touristy beach resort when you can try one of these off-the-beaten-path weekend escapes?
If you want your obsession for ombre manicures, mustache mugs and chevron pillow...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
On the brink of swimsuit season, weight loss is on everyone’s mind. The l...
When you're planning your wedding, it's easy to get caught up in the b...
from POPSUGAR Home
Drinking beer at home may never be the same. Read more: Drinking...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post