14 Simple, Beautiful Homemade Holiday Gifts
Mini Succulent Garden
Makes: 1 gift
Total time: 15 minutes
What You Need
- Ceramic bowl (at least 3 inches deep and 5 inches wide)
- small pebbles
- dishwashing gloves (to keep fingers nimble and offer some protection)
- soup spoon
- cactus potting soil
- 5 or 7 small cactus and succulent plants of different heights and shapes (an odd number will look better; the festive plant with the red top, shown here, is a ruby ball cactus). All supplies are available at your local garden center or Home Depot
What to Do
- Cover the bottom of the bowl with a 1-inch layer of pebbles.
- Add a thin layer of soil over the pebbles.
- Wearing gloves, gently remove each little cactus from its pot. Group the tallest plants together and fill the remaining space with the others, allowing a half inch between each. Use the spoon to surround each plant with soil; the root ball should be completely covered.
- Level the top of the potting soil at the base of each plant. Cover the surface with pebbles. To water, start with a half cup and continue to add until the topsoil is damp.
- When gifting, tell the recipient to let the soil dry out between waterings.
Next: Manchego Twists
Most Popular Galleries
“Meredith Perez, founder and creative director of Belle Fleur, explains how to create a lush flower arrangement....”
It may still be colder than a winter’s bone outside, but that doesn’t mean we’re...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
Technology and medicine are working together in a smart new way - by putting sp...
The allure of living in a sprawling prefab nestled on a scenic plot of land is u...
from POPSUGAR Home
Ottolenghi is a lucky man. Read more: Tastemakers , Ottolenghi ...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post
There are small spaces, and then there are microspaces. The architects and de...