Plan a Cheese Party
The Party at a Glance
How It Works
Guests sample delicious cheeses while they mingle. Yup, it’s that simple.
Whom to invite: About 12 of your favorite food lovers. Even die-hard Velveeta fans will enjoy a party like this.
Invitations or e-mail? Try a hybrid: Real Simple’s customizable (and free) Evites, available at realsimple.com/evite.
What to serve: Don’t let the cheese stand alone. Pair it with delicious accompaniments and wines.
Your Game Plan
A few days before the party…
- Buy the cheese. Skip the supermarket and go to a specialty store for the tastiest selection. Or shop online at artisanalcheese.com or murrayscheese.com; allow 2 business days for delivery.
- Make cheese labels and tasting cards. Then guests can know―and keep track of―what they’re sampling.
1 to 2 hours before the party…
- Take the cheese out of the refrigerator. It has the fullest flavor at room temperature.
- Prepare the bar. Chill the white wine and set out glasses.
- Open two reds and two whites to make it easy to get the party started.
- Set out the food. Space out a few cheese boards around the room so guests don’t clump in one spot.
Most Popular Galleries
If your dark circles aren’t quite this adorable, you don’t have to grin and bear it. Try these (en)lightening strategies to minimize them.