How to Host a Swap Party
Where to Send Leftover Goods
After the party, make sure the remains of the day go to a good home.
To donate clothing and housewares:
- Goodwill: Most Goodwill branches will pick up furniture or large bags of clothing. Contact your local Goodwill to find out whether pickup service is available in your area (800-664-577), or go to goodwill.org.
- The Salvation Army: Call 800-728-7825 or go to satruck.org to find a local branch or to see if there is pickup service in your area.
- Dress for Success: This organization accepts women’s interview-appropriate attire. Drop off items at one of its locations (in 46 states), or mail donations. To find a location near you, go to dressforsuccess.org.
To donate children’s items:
- Newborns in Need: Donate gently used items, such as small toys, rattles, blankets, and clothing. Go to newbornsinneed.org for locations.
- Project Night Night: Send “like new” blankets, books, and stuffed animals to children living in homeless shelters. Go to projectnightnight.org for details.
To donate books, CDs, or DVDs:
- Books for Soldiers: Ship a care package of books, CDs, and DVDs to a soldier. Sign up at booksforsoldiers.com.
- Reader to Reader: Stock needy school libraries with books. Go to readertoreader.org for details.
To swap items online:
- For clothing and accessories: rehashclothes.com, swapstyle.com.
- For children’s items: handmedowns.com, thebabychain.com.
- For books, DVDS, CDs, and video games: bookins.com, chancexchange.com, goozex.com, swaptree.com.
- For anything and everything: freecycle.org, neighborrow.com, titletrader.com.
Next: You Might Also Like…
Most Popular Galleries
“I don’t normally like to feature items that aren’t available immediately, but I love this new picnic tote from Built NY too much to wait. It looks just like a regular tote, doesn’t it? But…it unfolds...”
If your dark circles aren’t quite this adorable, you don’t have to grin and bear it. Try these (en)lightening strategies to minimize them.
For years and years my husband and I lived in an apartment that was fairly avera...
from The Nest Blog - Home Décor, Cooking, Money, Health & Sex News & Advice » house & home
Too little sleep increases the risk of car crashes for young drivers, a new stud...
Although your kitchen is meant for cooking, it's great for crafts, too. Wit...
from POPSUGAR Home
Ottolenghi is a lucky man. Read more: Tastemakers , Ottolenghi ...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
New to the Chicagoland real estate market is an opulent Colonial rivaling that o...
from Home on Huffingtonpost
Mirror was used everywhere in the house in the 1980s. Today it's making a stron...