What You'll Need
Here's everything you need for the party:
- Bakery boxes: Buy them from a local bakery, or order from New York Cake Supplies (from $1.30 each, 800-942-2539).
- Butcher paper: Available at craft stores.
- Cookie cutters: To find both traditional and unique shapes, go to Cincinnati Cake & Candy Supplies, cincicakeandcandy.com; coppergifts.com; and H.O. Foose Tinsmithing Co., foosecookiecutters.com. Most cutters sell for less than $2, except those made of copper, which cost about $13 each.
- Cookies: At least three dozen medium-size gingerbread or sugar cookies (see the recipes, or buy them at a bakery).
- Decorations: Stock up on confectioners' sugar and such favorites as chocolate-covered sunflower seeds, gumdrops, licorice laces, and M&M's. Order colored sanding sugars, specialty sprinkles, and unusual candies from economycandy.com, fancyflours.com, and indiatree.com.
- Flavored milk
- Icing: Wilton makes ready-to-use Cookie Icing ($4.50) and Icing Writer ($2.50) in convenient squeeze bottles, as well as Color Mist food-color spray ($3). All are available at wilton.com/store.
- Wax paper