Etiquette Advice for the Holiday Guest
Week With the Family Guest EtiquetteWhat to find out in advance: Which relatives will be there? Will you be responsible for any meals? Will your family be going to or hosting any parties? Who's sleeping where? (If space is tight, consider staying at a hotel.) If you have kids, do you need to bring any supplies?
What to give:
- A gift-wrapping kit with paper, tape, and ribbons for last-minute presents.
- If there's a fireplace, starter sticks, pinecones, and a box of long matches.
- Evergreens and holly for decorating.
- If the kitchen will get a lot of use, bring a set of nice dish towels and a scented dishwashing soap to make things pleasant for the cleanup crew.
- "Offer to pitch in with chores, and behave as houseguests even though you are family," says Howard. "Host is not synonymous with maid."
- When you're spending an extended period of time with the extended family, everybody needs some time apart, says Howard. Planning a few escapes on your own can help relieve tension.
How to follow up: Arrange for a massage therapist to come to the house after you're gone and leave a thank- you note with the details, or give them a gift certificate or two to their favorite restaurant, suggests Spizman.
Most Popular Galleries
“Have you ever found yourself poolside with a beverage, but no bottle opener? With the new Ooh La La Bottle Cap Cuff by Three Jane on your arm, you can skip the hassle of walking back to the house....”
Far from boring, this go-to neutral can take any room to new stylish heights.
[sponsored post] The house my fiance and I bought together last year isn’t...
from The Nest Blog - Home Décor, Cooking, Money, Health & Sex News & Advice » house & home
With the recent rise of deadly drug-resistant bacteria in the United States, on...
You may have aged out of sleepaway camp but no one would blame you for missing i...
from POPSUGAR Home
Ottolenghi is a lucky man. Read more: Tastemakers , Ottolenghi ...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
Laser cut paper easily passes for lace, making it perfect for wedding details. D...
from Home on Huffingtonpost
Summer is the season for entertaining and keeping cool with refreshing drinks. ...