Easy Backyard Entertaining
5 Ways to Keep Mosquitoes at Bay
- Eliminate the conditions in which bugs breed by draining any containers with standing water, such as flowerpot saucers, roof gutters, and birdbaths.
- Encircle your patio or deck with citronella candles or incense sticks so the smoke and fragrance that the bugs hate will always waft toward you.
- An alternative: Plug in some fans. Mosquitoes are weak flyers, so even a fan set on low will create enough airflow to keep them away. This works best in a small area, like a deck, where you can set up two or three box fans around your guests. It’s also a good idea to put a tabletop fan near the food.
- Apply a bug repellent. For those containing DEET, choose 10 percent to 35 percent. (The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that DEET be applied to children no more than once a day, and does not recommending using it at all on infants under the age of 2 months.) If you prefer to go DEET-free, natural bug repellents can be quite effective (one to try is Coleman Botanicals Insect Repellent, $7.50; rei.com).
- Stay calm. Swatting at mosquitoes attracts them, since they're drawn to motion.
Next: You Might Also Like…
Most Popular Galleries
“In our house, the cocktail is king. Like many, we started stocking our bar when the cocktail revolution hit a decade ago. Couple that with watching Don Draper and Peggy Olsen imbibe on Mad Men for...”
Excel spreadsheets are usually used to track the most banal of things: budgets t...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
Too much tweeting could be hurting your relationship, according to a new study....
Simple updates to a small space like your bathroom can make a big impact without...
from POPSUGAR Home
You NEED this. Read more: Hot Fudge Sundae , Fudge Sauce , Ent...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post
Jordan Menzel went out for a bike ride around downtown Salt Lake City, Utah, on...