The Basics of Good Sleep
How to get your child to settle in at night.
By Teri Cettina
- Develop a pre-bed routine. Do things in the same order (bath, pj’s, story, good-night kiss) at the same time each night.
- Avoid caffeinated foods and drinks in the evening.
- Cut back on your child’s naps (or steer clear of them late in the afternoon) if she is having trouble sleeping at night.
- Refrain from rocking your child to sleep or letting him doze with a bottle. He’ll become dependent on both rituals.
- Nix screen time and active play (that means tickle fights, Dad!) within 30 minutes of bedtime as they’re too stimulating.