How to Keep Weight Off
Where the Time Goes
How active are you? If you’re like most Americans, the answer is: not very. Below are the activities undertaken by the average
woman over age 18, listed from most to least time spent on them, according to a national survey sponsored by the Environmental
Protection Agency. When Gladys Block, Ph.D., a public-health professor at the University of California, Berkeley, analyzed
the responses, she was shocked by how little time the average person spent moving around. “We’ve known that people aren’t
very active,” she says. ”This study reveals that it’s worse than we thought.”
- Taking care of children (feeding, bathing, entertaining).
- Watching television or seeing movies.
- Working, office work (typing, computer work).
- Cleaning house, general housekeeping.
- Doing seated activities (e-mail, bill paying, Web surfing).
- Preparing food.
- Talking to others, in person or by phone.
- Working, light activity (walking to coworkers' offices or to the printer or copier).
Most Popular Galleries
When it comes to the do’s and don’ts, you’ve got lots of questions. Here, solutions for making the season merry and bright.