I Hate to Exercise
You can't swallow a magic pill to make you love exercising―but you can find ways to incorporate it into your daily life. If you are not used to exercising, start slowly. Melanie Webb, personal trainer at Sports Club L.A. in Washington, D.C., offers these suggestions.
- Take two brisk 10-minute walks on your busiest days.
- Walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes once a week, twice a week if possible.
- Do a 15-minute resistance-training routine twice a week to strengthen the core muscles and help reduce back pain and improve posture (see The Strength-Training Routine, next slide).
- Make an exercise date with a friend or your spouse twice a month―hiking, playing tennis, bowling, or biking, complete with a backup plan in case of bad weather.
- Replace your office chair with a stability ball, which will require you to engage and strengthen your abdominal, gluteal, and lower-back muscles.