Solutions for Everyday Overindulging
Your Overindulgence: Exercise
What you did: After several months of inactivity, you renewed your commitment to exercise by taking an advanced Spinning class. Twenty-four
hours later, you can barely walk down the stairs.
Now what? Microscopic tears in your muscles need to be pampered, says Cedric Bryant, Ph.D., chief exercise physiologist for the American Council on Exercise. To help your muscles recover…
- Drink plenty of fluids, to increase blood flow to your muscles.
- Take a long walk. "This will indirectly help muscle tears heal by increasing blood flow," says New York City exercise physiologist Liz Neporent,
author of The Ultimate Body.
- Gently stretch the specific areas that hurt. Avoid "bouncing" stretches. Instead, slowly lengthen the sore muscle and hold the position for at least ten seconds.
- Get a massage. Instruct the therapist to ease into the sore muscles, rather than assaulting them right off with a deep-tissue treatment.
- Take an anti-inflammatory medication, such as Aleve, several times a day until you feel better.
Most Popular Galleries
Far from boring, this go-to neutral can take any room to new stylish heights.