Feel Better Fast
- Apply a petroleum jelly (like Vaseline) to keep the sore moist and to prevent cracking.
- If you get cold sores regularly, ask your doctor about an oral antiviral prescription medication, such as Valtrex or Acyclovir. One or two doses taken as soon as you feel a cold sore coming on can reduce the duration of the sore and help prevent recurrences.
- Be patient. A cold sore usually goes away in a few days. In the meantime, relieve pain with a topical cold-sore treatment that contains benzocaine (like Nexcare Cold Sore Treatment) .
- Try to dry it out with peroxide, alcohol, or witch hazel.
- Pick at it, share drinks (even with a straw), or kiss people. Cold sores are a type of herpes, a common and contagious virus.
- Cover it with a thick layer of concealer, because removing the makeup can irritate the sore.
- The sore doesn’t go away in a week or two or the pain is severe. It could be an allergic reaction.
Next: Sore Throat
Most Popular Galleries
“You *know* you ought to take the stairs instead of the elevator and floss every night… and yet, sometimes not doing those good-for-you extra steps is all the more tempting. If you’re a parent and...”
Even though William Shakespeare would have turned 450 years old today, his plays...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
The federal government wants to ban sales of electronic cigarettes to minors an...
When we caught wind that Domaine Home had a hand in revamping Lea Michele's...
from POPSUGAR Home
When in doubt, ask the experts. Read more: Drinks , Negronis , ...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post
A few decades ago, the only structure in a British garden was the trusty shed. ...