Feel Better Fast
- Apply a petroleum jelly (like Vaseline) to keep the sore moist and to prevent cracking.
- If you get cold sores regularly, ask your doctor about an oral antiviral prescription medication, such as Valtrex or Acyclovir. One or two doses taken as soon as you feel a cold sore coming on can reduce the duration of the sore and help prevent recurrences.
- Be patient. A cold sore usually goes away in a few days. In the meantime, relieve pain with a topical cold-sore treatment that contains benzocaine (like Nexcare Cold Sore Treatment) .
- Try to dry it out with peroxide, alcohol, or witch hazel.
- Pick at it, share drinks (even with a straw), or kiss people. Cold sores are a type of herpes, a common and contagious virus.
- Cover it with a thick layer of concealer, because removing the makeup can irritate the sore.
- The sore doesn’t go away in a week or two or the pain is severe. It could be an allergic reaction.
Next: Sore Throat
Most Popular Galleries
“The scene: home office in my house The characters: me, my husband Time: last night, 9:45 p.m. Husband is lying on floor of home office, “stretching his back,” which I think is 80% watching TV and 20%...”
If you were just thinking about how you’d like more artisanal home goods a...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
There are many conditions that, although extremely rare, can cause blindness in...
Thirteen going on 30? Well, that was fast. If you are approaching the big 3-0, a...
from POPSUGAR Home
In France, this cut from the short loin section of the animal is known as “bavet...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post
If you are new to gardening with native plants and are looking for a good intro...