Feel Better Fast
- Apply a petroleum jelly (like Vaseline) to keep the sore moist and to prevent cracking.
- If you get cold sores regularly, ask your doctor about an oral antiviral prescription medication, such as Valtrex or Acyclovir. One or two doses taken as soon as you feel a cold sore coming on can reduce the duration of the sore and help prevent recurrences.
- Be patient. A cold sore usually goes away in a few days. In the meantime, relieve pain with a topical cold-sore treatment that contains benzocaine (like Nexcare Cold Sore Treatment) .
- Try to dry it out with peroxide, alcohol, or witch hazel.
- Pick at it, share drinks (even with a straw), or kiss people. Cold sores are a type of herpes, a common and contagious virus.
- Cover it with a thick layer of concealer, because removing the makeup can irritate the sore.
- The sore doesn’t go away in a week or two or the pain is severe. It could be an allergic reaction.
Next: Sore Throat
Most Popular Galleries
“Our friends at POPSUGAR say it best: “Instead of spending lunch glued to your computer, take advantage of some much-deserved ‘me time’ with these 15 tips to make every day a little bit healthier (and...”
What’s sweeter (or funnier, in Gwen Stefani’s case) than posting a t...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
When babies are too young to get the whooping cough vaccine, vaccinating their ...
Even if you can't name a lot of iconic midcentury designs, chances are you ...
from POPSUGAR Home
Bland pasta is a sad, sad thing. Read more: Salt , How to Cook ...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post
Every garden, every landscape we create has a story to tell. It’s why we do wha...