- 1 beef chuck pot roast, cut into serving-sized pieces (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 ground black pepper ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces small shallots, peeled
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package (8 ounces) mushrooms, cut in quarters
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (about 2 cups)
- Season the beef with the salt and black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook until well browned on all sides. Remove the beef from the skillet. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat.
- Add the shallots to the skillet. Cook for 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook and stir for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms, tomatoes and flour and cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir the broth, vinegar and brown sugar in a small bowl until the mixture is smooth. Stir the broth mixture in the skillet and heat to a boil. Return the beef to the skillet. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the carrots to the skillet. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until the beef is fork-tender and the vegetables are tender.
- Grate 2 tablespoons zest from the lemon. Stir the lemon zest and parsley in a small bowl. Sprinkle the lemon zest mixture over the beef mixture.