- Made of little more than semolina flour, water, and salt, dried pasta can be stored at room temperature almost indefinitely. Use up this pantry staple with kid-friendly spaghetti recipes.
- Many varieties, especially those from Italy, have the flavor and consistency you would find in a great trattoria. Imported pasta can usually be had for only a few cents more than domestic ones.
- Dried pasta's firm texture means it can hold up to even the heartiest sauce.
- Most shapes double in size when cooked. One pound of dried pasta serves four people generously.
- Because it contains eggs and additional water, fresh pasta is more tender than dried and takes about half the time to cook.
- Its delicate texture is best with light sauces made with tomatoes, cream, oil, or butter flavored with herbs.
- One and a half pounds of fresh pasta serves four people generously.