Sausage-Pumpkin Corn-Bread Stuffing
8, with leftovers Hands-On Time: 0hr 35m Total Time: 1hr 15m
- 3/4 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 jalapenos, minced (with seeds)
- 12 corn muffins or two 8 1/2-ounce corn-bread mixes, prepared and crumbled (10 cups)
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin
- 1 14-ounce can chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage or 1 heaping tablespoon dried sage
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage and jalapenos, breaking up the meat and cooking until it is no longer pink. Drain the fat.
- Add the corn bread. Fold in the pumpkin, broth, cranberries, and sage. (Can be made up to 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) For drier stuffing, omit the broth.
- TO FAKE IT...AND SAVE 30 MINUTES
Prepare one 16-ounce bag corn-bread-stuffing mix according to the label directions, omitting any butter and all but 1 cup of the liquid that's called for on the label. Fold in one 15-ounce can pumpkin, one 4-ounce can chopped green chilies, 1 cup dried cranberries, and one 2.8-ounce package cooked bacon, chopped. Total time: 45 minutes.
Cooking pork to an internal temperature of 150° F (before resting) yields a perfectly cooked and juicy finished product (a slight trace of pink is fine). This is a high enough temperature to kill the bacteria trichinosis, which only affects 1 percent of hogs in the United States.
- Per Serving
- Calories 304Calories From Fat 0%
- Calcium 67mg
- Carbohydrate 46g
- Cholesterol 31mg
- Fat 11g
- Fiber 3g
- Iron 2mg
- Protein 6mg
- Sat Fat 5g
- Sodium 577mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101.