Fresh Tomatoes, 7 Ways
Juicy tips for serving up tomatoes in just minutes.
1. Sandwich: Cut two slices of country bread; add tomato, greens, olive oil or mayo, salt.
2. Hot tomato: Halve a fat tomato; dig out the center; sprinkle with fresh Parmesan, bread crumbs, olive oil; broil for 10 minutes.
3. Tomato salsa: Seed and chop 10 plum tomatoes; thinly slice 1 small red onion; combine with 2 cups of cubed watermelon, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
4. Gazpacho: In a blender, puree 6 large tomatoes, 4 cloves garlic, 1 green bell pepper, a slice of bread, a splash of balsamic vinegar, another of olive oil, a shake of salt; top with diced cucumber.
5. Tomato terrine: Thinly slice 1 pound of fresh mozzarella; drain; layer in a loaf pan with 4 thinly sliced tomatoes and a handful of fresh basil (cheese, tomato, basil, repeat); sprinkle with olive oil; season with salt and pepper; cover pan and refrigerate for 2 hours.
6. Bruschetta: Grill as many thick slices of country bread as you have guests, times two; rub with cut garlic halves; brush with olive oil; top with chopped tomato, salt, and pepper.
7. Snack: Take one still-warm tomato; cut in half; salt; eat.