- 2 strip steaks (1 inch thick; about 2 pounds total)
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 bunches curly kale, stems discarded and leaves torn
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- Chopped fresh chives, for serving
- Heat oven to 425° F. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over high heat. Season the steak with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the oil to the skillet and heat for 10 seconds. Add the steaks and cook until brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to oven and cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the thickest steak registers 130° F, 4 to 6 minutes more. Transfer to a plate. Let rest for 5 minutes, then thinly slice against the grain.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add as much kale as will fit, along with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, tossing and adding more kale as there is room, until the kale is completely wilted but still bright green, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the cream and 1/4 cup water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the beans and stir to warm through.
- Serve the steak over the creamed kale and beans, sprinkled with the chives.