The most popular summer squash, zucchini has a light, delicate flavor. Its blossoms are edible and often served stuffed.
Season: Year-round; peaks in summer.
How to Choose Zucchini
Look for zucchini less than 8 inches long; they can become bitter, watery, and thicker-skinned as they grow larger. Make sure squash are firm, particularly at the stems, and have bright skins.
How to Store Zucchini
Refrigerate, unwashed, in a plastic bag in the vegetable drawer for up to 5 days.
How to Use Zucchini
A component of ratatouille, zucchini is also good grilled, roasted, steamed, pan-fried, or raw. It also adds a boost to sweet breads and muffins.
Real Simple Zucchini Recipes:
- Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers With Zucchini Rice
- Grilled Bread With Zucchini, Ricotta, and Basil
- Grilled Zucchini Salad With Lemon and Scallions
- Mediterranean Stuffed Zucchini
- Rosemary Chicken With Zucchini
Fruits and vegetables at their peak right now.
Find out what's in season in your area right now, then locate a farmers' market near you.