Many green onions picked before they’ve matured are referred to as scallions, but true scallions are a distinct and milder
Season: Year-round; peak spring and summer.
How to Choose Scallions
Fresh scallions should have bright green tops and firm, white bases. Avoid those with wet, wilted tops.
How to Store Scallions
Keep bunches unwashed (moisture speeds decay) in a plastic bag in the vegetable drawer for up to 5 days. The fragile green tops are best when cooked immediately after purchase.
How to Prepare Scallions
Wash just before using and trim the roots.
How to Use Scallions
Raw sliced scallions are perfect in salads, soups, and sandwiches. Or grill scallions whole.
Real Simple Scallion Recipes:
- Roasted Garlic and Scallion Dip
- Turkey-Scallion Patty Melts With Oven Fries
- Cod and Corn Chowder With Saffron and Scallions
- Roasted Chicken With Summer Squash, Radish, and Scallion Salad
- Ginger-Scallion Salmon Burgers With Miso Yogurt
Fruits and vegetables at their peak right now.
Find out what's in season in your area right now, then locate a farmers' market near you.