Cool and moist because of their high water content, cucumbers add a crisp, refreshing crunch to salads.
Season: Year-round; peak May to August.
How to Choose Cucumbers
For both regular cucumbers and smaller, bumpier Kirbys (often used for pickles), select firm, dark green vegetables with no wrinkles or spongy spots. Whatever the variety, smaller cucumbers contain fewer seeds. The skins contain vitamin A, so try to buy unwaxed cucumbers, whose skins you can eat.
How to Store Cucumbers
Keep cucumbers tightly wrapped in the vegetable drawer of the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
How to Prepare Cucumbers
Peel waxed cucumbers; unwaxed ones need only a light scrubbing.
How to Use Cucumbers
Cucumbers are tastiest raw—alone or in salads.
Real Simple Cucumber Recipes:
- Honeydew, Cucumber, and Mint Cooler
- Grilled Chicken Breasts With Peach and Cucumber Salad
- Roast Pork and Pickled Cucumber Sandwich
- Bratwurst With Sauteed Cabbage and Cucumber Potato Salad
- Salmon With Creamy Cucumber-Fennel Salad
Fruits and vegetables at their peak right now.
Find out what's in season in your area right now, then locate a farmers' market near you.