Herbed Mashed Potatoes
8, with leftovers Hands-On Time: 0hr 15m Total Time: 0hr 40m
- 8 medium russet (or baking) potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup milk, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, chives, or tarragon
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan with the garlic and enough lightly salted water to cover. (Can be done to this point up to 4 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until fork-tender. Drain.
- Beat with an electric mixer or mash with a potato masher until smooth. Add the butter. Gradually add the milk until the potatoes are fluffy. Blend in the salt and herbs.
- To fake it...and save 30 minutes: Heat two 20-ounce packages red mashed potatoes according to the label directions. Beat in one 5.2-ounce package Boursin or another garlic-herb cheese. Total time: 10 minutes.
As with produce, take eggs and milk from the back of the case; older merchandise tends to be pushed forward.
- Per Serving
- Calories 243Calories From Fat 0%
- Calcium 61mg
- Carbohydrate 36g
- Cholesterol 26mg
- Fat 10g
- Fiber 3g
- Iron 1mg
- Protein 4mg
- Sat Fat 6g
- Sodium 455mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101.