Beginner Canning Equipment
If you’re new to canning, ease into it with the Ball Canning Discovery Kit ($12, freshpreservingstore.com), which includes three 1-pint jars, a polypropylene rack with a handle for lowering the jars into hot water, and a beginner’s
guide to canning with recipes.
If you’re not starting out with a kit, for the boiling-water method you’ll need:
- Canning jars with two-part lids—a flat lid with a rubberized gasket and a ring to hold it in place.
- A stock pot at least 3 inches taller than your jars
- Canning tongs for lifting jars out of the boiling water (Find them at the grocery or hardware store; don’t substitute regular kitchen tongs)
- Canning rack to raise jars off the bottom of the pot (a cake cooling rack or a layer of extra canning jar rings will work in a pinch)
- Wide-mouth funnel to make filling jars easy
- Bubble tool to release trapped air in the jars (substitute a plastic knife, chopstick or skewer)
- Magnetic lid lifter, an optional tool for grabbing lids from the hot water
Most Popular Galleries
So maybe you can’t change your health overnight. But you can get a head start.