Beginner Canning Equipment
If you’re new to canning, ease into it with the Ball Canning Discovery Kit ($12, freshpreservingstore.com), which includes three 1-pint jars, a polypropylene rack with a handle for lowering the jars into hot water, and a beginner’s
guide to canning with recipes.
If you’re not starting out with a kit, for the boiling-water method you’ll need:
- Canning jars with two-part lids—a flat lid with a rubberized gasket and a ring to hold it in place.
- A stock pot at least 3 inches taller than your jars
- Canning tongs for lifting jars out of the boiling water (Find them at the grocery or hardware store; don’t substitute regular kitchen tongs)
- Canning rack to raise jars off the bottom of the pot (a cake cooling rack or a layer of extra canning jar rings will work in a pinch)
- Wide-mouth funnel to make filling jars easy
- Bubble tool to release trapped air in the jars (substitute a plastic knife, chopstick or skewer)
- Magnetic lid lifter, an optional tool for grabbing lids from the hot water
Most Popular Galleries
Everyone agrees embarrassment can be excruciating. But is the emotion all bad? Discover its surprising upside—and learn how to get over it more easily—with this expert advice for kids and adults.