- Less expensive than a gas grill, from $50 to $450.
- Deep, smoky flavor.
- Creates a hotter flame, which can be great for searing meat like steak.
- Offers the thrill of playing with fire.
- Coals must be lit with a chimney starter or lighter fluid.
- Heat can be challenging to control.
- Coals must be replenished every hour or so.
- Ashes and grease must be cleaned up.
- Heat is even and consistent.
- A propane tank can provide fuel for 16 to 20 hours.
- Gas is easily turned on with a knob.
- No ashes and minimal grease to clean up.
- Larger investment, from $139 to $5,000 and up.
- Some models are slow to preheat, so food can take longer to cook.
- Wood chips must be added separately, in a smoker box or a homemade packet.