6 Hands-On Time: 0hr 15m Total Time: 0hr 40m
- 1 pound sweet Italian chicken sausage, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 15-ounce cans kidney beans in sauce (such as Goya)
- 1/2 cup hot salsa
- 1 8 1/2-ounce box corn-bread mix (requires 1 egg and 1/3 cup milk)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar
- Heat oven to 400º F. Cook the sausage over medium heat in an oven-safe skillet (such as cast iron), breaking up the meat until it's no longer pink.
- Drain the fat. Add the chili powder and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the beans and salsa. Heat to boiling.
- Meanwhile, prepare the corn-bread mix according to the label directions. Stir in the Cheddar.
- Remove the chili from the heat and spread the corn-bread batter over the chili. Place the skillet in the oven and bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Beans made from scratch have better flavor, but the cooking can take hours. Canned beans are a solid alternative, if you rinse and drain them well.
- Per Serving
- Calories 522Calories From Fat 0%
- Calcium 257mg
- Carbohydrate 52g
- Cholesterol 137mg
- Fat 17g
- Fiber 7g
- Iron 4mg
- Protein 28mg
- Sat Fat 7g
- Sodium 1652mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101.