Serves 10| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- Cut the pound cake into 1/2-inch slices, then diagonally cut each slice in half. Line a 3-quart mixing bowl with plastic wrap.
- Arrange the cake pieces with the pointed ends at the bottom and crust sides next to cut edges until the bowl is lined. Sprinkle with the orange juice. Set aside the remaining cake pieces.
- In a microwave, melt half the chocolate in a small cup on high, 1 minute. Stir until smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the cream, sugar, and almond extract until stiff peaks form. Fold in the chopped almonds and the remaining chocolate chips. Spread this cream mixture around the cake-lined bowl, leaving a well in the center.
- Mix the melted chocolate into the remaining whipped cream, then use that to fill the center of the dessert. Top with the remaining cake pieces. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or up to 2 days ahead.
- When ready to serve, turn the cake out onto a platter and slice in wedges.
- Per Serving
- Calories 472
- Calcium 84mg
- Carbohydrate 41g
- Cholesterol 83mg
- Fat 34g
- Fiber 3g
- Iron 2mg
- Protein 6mg
- Sat Fat 16g
- Sodium 145mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Gourmet chocolate contains high-quality cacao beans and a high percentage of cocoa butter. Inferior chocolate often has sugar added to mask the flavor.