- 1 1/2 cups rice vinegar
- 2 serrano chilies, halved and seeded (use 1 for milder flavor)
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thirds
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- In a medium saucepan, combine the vinegar, 1/2 cup water, chilies, ginger, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil and simmer until the sugar and salt dissolve, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add the red pepper flakes and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Place the zucchini in a large bowl. Pour in the vinegar brine and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Zucchini pickles can be kept in the refrigerator for 1 week.