Yellow Cake With Strawberry Filling and Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting
Serves 12| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for the pans
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for the pans
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 recipe Fresh Strawberry Filling
- 1 recipe Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting
- 1 quart strawberries, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam, warmed
- Heat oven to 350°F. Butter two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans, line the bottoms with parchment, butter again, and dust with flour, tapping out the excess. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar on medium-high until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the vanilla, then the eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Reduce mixer speed to low. Add the flour mixture in 3 additions and the milk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix just until combined (do not overmix).
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pans and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes for 8-inch pans and 22 to 25 minutes for 9-inch pans. Cool the cakes in the pans for 15 minutes, then turn out onto racks to cool completely.
- Transfer one of the cooled cakes to a plate and spread with 1 to 1½ cups of the filling. Top with the remaining cake and refrigerate to set, 30 minutes. Spread the top and sides with the frosting.
- Starting from the outside perimeter, place a ring of the sliced strawberries around the cake, points facing out. Continue layering concentric rings around the cake until you reach the center. Carefully brush with the jam.
- Per Serving
- Calories 918Calories From Fat 460
- Fat 52g
- Sat Fat 32g
- Cholesterol 168mg
- Sodium 233mg
- Protein 8g
- Carbohydrate 110g
- Sugar 84g
- Fiber 2g
- Iron 3mg
- Calcium 81mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Dab some frosting on the plate before putting down the first layer of cake. This will prevent the cake from sliding around.